Function and Strength Off-Ice Conditioning
VF Minutemen have been working with Function and Strength for the since the 2016-17 season as the official conditioning partner for all off-ice conditioning. Ryan comes to the VF Minutemen with a Bachelors of Science in Athletic Training, Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC); and a Masters in Sports Management.
For more information about Ryan and Function and Strength, visit functionandstrength.net.
Ryan enjoys training individuals and teams of all levels. He specializes in providing all clients with function and strength that is key for an overall healthy lifestyle. Ryan feels, “It does not matter if you are an elite level athlete or retiree’, training is needed for everyone.”
Ryan began his career in Ontario, Canada where he specialized in sports performance with NHL, MLL, and NCAA athletes. Since he has been in the USA, Ryan has trained Olympians and everyone from corporate America employees, stay-at-home-parents, weekend warriors, and adolescents’ and has helped them reach their goals in body composition, fitness, and sports performance.
You will catch Ryan saying, “Don’t practice until you get it perfect; practice until you can’t get it wrong.”
Bachelors of Science in Athletic Training, Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC); Masters in Sports Management.
Ryan played his junior hockey in the OPJHL for 4 years. He was a 3-year captain and leading scorer for the Oshawa Legionaries, Ontario. Ryan was then traded to the Wexford Raiders in his final year.
As a collegiate athlete and Neumann Knight, he helped lead the team to an ECAC West Championship and NCAA DIII National Championship in 2009. Ryan’s accolades include being a team captain, ECAC West All academic team 05-09, Team Defensive Player of the year 2005, Team Coaches Award 2009 and played in 100 college career games. For the 2009-2010 seasons, Ryan was an assistant coach for Neumann University.
Professional Training Career
Ryan has trained athletes of all levels and past strength and conditioning clients include athletes from the NHL, AHL, NLL, various NCAA sports and European leagues.
Certifications and Seminars
- Licensed Athletic Trainer in Pennsylvania
- National Academy of Sports Medicine- Performance Enhancement Specialist
- USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach Level 1
- Functional Movement Screening (FMS) Level 1 and 2
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA)
- Kettlebell Athletics Level 1 and 2
- First Aid and CPR with AED for the Professional Rescuer
- MMA Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- CrossFit Movements and Mobility Trainer
- CSAC (Certified Speed & Agility Coach)
- FRCms (Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist)